If you have a wooden floors in your home, you will agree that it’s sometimes a bit hard to clean. This is why it’s so important to not only have the best vacuum for wood floors, but to also have the required knowledge on how to clean them in general. The wooden structure is prone to grease, oil stains and dust which accumulate especially when there is a carpet. The cleaning of the floor requires skills and time as you will need to dry and refinish it again.
The carpet becomes the shelter for all types of dirt thus needs frequent cleaning. The dirt under the carpet includes adhesives, dust, staples among others. The following procedure will keep your floor looking good without having to refinish it every now and then.
- Before you decide to clean your floor, remove all the staples, small stones and tack strip. This will make it flat as the big obstacles will be removed.
- Remove dust and other small particles by the using a vacuum. This will help you to see the parts that have grease or oil stains for easier removal.
- All the dried adhesives must be removed by the use of a chemical stripper. Steps to follow to remove the stains are provided on the stripper. You can also use heat gun or towel on the glue by pouring hot water on the towel; the glue will stick on the towel.
- The remaining adhesive can be removed by a vacuum with the best being a shop vacuum when using the boiling water style.
- You will then have to scrub the wooden floor by use of a Murphy soap which must be diluted in warm water for it to be effective.
- Dry it with a towel when you finish cleaning it using a towel to avoid damage caused by excess water.
- Spray the floor with diluted vinegar mixed with equal amount of water and then buff using a dry mop.
- Get several tea bags and pour them in boiling water which must then cool.
- The tea gives the wood grains an attractive look and leaves a clean sheen.
- You can also use polyurethane to refinish the floor if the tea bags are not to your expectation.
Note that the wooden floor tends to expand when water is used to clean it. The wood takes in the spilled water and expands proportionally. When this water dries, the expanded wood then shrinks and in the process cracks damaging your floor. This will call for maintenance costs and you must buy a broom that is of high quality and one that will remove all the dirt. The carpet should be cleaned regularly and dried immediately when there are spills. If you follow the above steps, you will live in a house with the best floor. It will look as new as it used to be the first time it was installed.